What Does it feel like?
Fear of needles is not uncommon and it's normal to be a little unsure at first. Most of us have only experienced hypodermic needles through blood draws and injections - which are uncomfortable experiences. The sensation you feel from an acupuncture needle is nothing like the feeling you get with a shot.
- Acupuncture needles are sterile and single use
- Acupuncture needles are extremely fine - about the width of a human hair.
- About 40 acupuncture needles can fit into the tip of one standard 18 gauge hypodermic needle!
- Most people report either not feeling the needles at all, or noticing them briefly as they are inserted. Due to the acupuncture needles being so fine and our use of gentle insertion techniques, the pain reflexes on the nerve endings are not stimulated.
- Some points may have more sensation than others, a deep dull heavy sensation or a quick little pinch may be noticeable.
- By the time all the needles are inserted, you generally do not feel any of them and are easing into a sense of calm relaxation. You will rest with the needles for 5-30 minutes.
- The benefits of acupuncture start immediately; after your treatment you could experience an excellent night of sleep, higher energy, more focus, less stress, improved digestion and a reduction in pain.